If there’s anything I despise about Minecraft, it is the fact that I can spend hours to acquire a diamond pickaxe with several high level enchantments, only to lose it in a matter of seconds because a stealthy skeleton shot me into a pit of lava. The Keep Some Items mod by navybofus allows players to hold on to some of their items when they die, lessening the impact of accidents (or carelessness).
First of all, I want to explain why I like this mod and don’t see it as a handicap. In Minecraft, items are obviously meant to be used. You can spend hours trying to craft the best armor and tools, but what good are they if you are too afraid to actually use them for fear of losing them? Keep Some Items makes the game more enjoyable as it takes some of this risk away.
With that said, this mod is fairly simple. Upon death, five items will be selected in the player’s inventory:
- A bow or sword (or possibly other weapon if any mods are installed);
- One piece of armor;
- One tool;
- Two items or stacks of items from the rest of the player’s inventory.
Everything else drops on the ground in the normal fashion. This means that epic mining trips down into the depths of the world can be taken with relative ease of mind if only one sword, one pickaxe, and one armor item are brought along.
How to install Keep Some Items for Minecraft 1.7.2
- Download and install Minecraft Forge mod loader.
- Download the latest version of Keep Some Items from the download section of its Minecraft Forum thread.
- Hold Windows key and press R to open the Run… dialog, or go to Start > Run.
- Enter %appdata% and navigate to your .minecraft/mods folder.
- Drag and drop the file downloaded in step 2 into this folder.
Do you think this mod adds to the gameplay of Minecraft, or do you think it takes away some of the challenge? Let us know what you think and why in the comments below.