Today we’re going to learn how to create a fully automated pumpkin/ melon farm in Minecraft by following this step by step guide.
Unlike other vegetation in Minecraft, pumpkin and melon grow differently as they first develop a stalk before creating the pumpkin/ melon block.
Once harvested, the stalk will remain the same and will grow another pumpkin/ melon block on an adjacent block after a while.
To automate the farm, all we need to do is automate its harvesting. And since the pumpkin/ melon is a block, it can be used as a trigger via a Redstone current.
The tutorial below will show how to use Redstone to automate Pumpkin/ Melon collection.
1. Plant either a pumpkin or a melon plant and block three of its adjacent sides with a slab or a block.
2. Add a piston near the growing stalk.
3. Place a Redstone wire and Redstone torch in this manner.
4. Add a block near the piston and place a Redstone wire on top of that block – connecting to the Redstone torch
5. Place a temporary block in front of the piston.
6. On top of the temporary block, place a sticky piston facing opposite to the first piston. The sticky piston will automatically extend its arm due to the current below it.
7. Place a solid block that is not sand nor gravel in front of the sticky piston.
8. Remove the temporary block. You will observe that the lower piston will extend and retract in split seconds.
9. A block away in front of the lower piston, dig two holes and place a chest on the far side of the hole.
10. Place a hopper connected to the chest inside the hole.
Once the crop will grow, the lower piston will extend and break the melon/ pumpkin. The item will then get sucked inside the hopper and into the chest.
Did you find this tutorial helpful? Tell us what you think by leaving a comment below.