Mining in Minecraft is rather uneventful in most circumstances. Just about the most exciting possible occurrence is to accidentally dig straight into a pool of lava. User jond311 aims to enhance the experience of mining in Minecraft with the Better Mining mod, adding more ores, items, and variety to the game.
The new ores are the focus of this mod so far. Five different types of ores are added, each with different properties:
- Mystical ore: this ore looks like a block filled with every type of ore and has a chance to drop uncommon or rare materials. Iron and gold ingots, diamonds, and slime balls are among these materials.
- Lucky ores: these are upgraded versions of normal ores. They have a chance to drop extra smelted versions of themselves when mined – a lucky iron ore could, for example, drop one iron ore and two iron ingots. They are characterized by a distinct glow.
- Chance ore: this ore can drop any diggable material at random, but also has a small chance to explode and cause damage to the player. It can be safely mined at a distance.
- Ruby and sapphire ores: two new types of materials of similar rarity to diamonds.
Rubies and sapphires can be used to create a new set of tools and armor. The mod provides crafting recipes for emerald tools and armor as well. Recipes for these new items are the same as they are with any other material.
Better Mining also adds a grappling hook item, which can be used to climb out of deep holes or scale the walls of a cavern when mining. It is made with sticks and iron:
A lot more handy than carrying around several hundred ladders or throwing down a huge pile of dirt!
jond311 plans to add more interesting features in the future, such as a mining helmet (with a flashlight attached) and custom structures with plenty of ore veins and dangerous traps.
How to install Better Mining for Minecraft 1.7.2
- Download and install Minecraft Forge mod loader
- Download the latest version of Better Mining from Planetminecraft.
- Hold Windows key and press R to open the Run… dialog, or go to Start > Run.
- Enter %appdata% and navigate to your .minecraft/mods folder.
- Drag and drop the .zip file downloaded in step 2 into this folder.
What else do you think would make mining more fun in Minecraft? Post your ideas in the comments below.